Thursday, June 29, 2006

No Laughing In The Face Of Death

The brouhaha over Joshua Belile is finally dying down. Belile, you may recall, is the Marine who was stationed in Iraq when he wrote and performed a funny little song for his fellow Marines. The lyrics tell a story—guy meets girl, guy falls in love with girl, girl’s family turns out to be a tad overprotective:

So, she took me down an old dirt trail, and she pulled up to a side shanty
And she threw open the door and I hit the floor. Cause her brother and her father shouted
Durka Durka Mohammed Jihad, Sherpa Sherpa Bak Allah

They pulled out their AKs so I could see
And they said

Durka Durka Mohammed Jihad Sherpa Sherpa Bak Allah
So I grabbed her little sister and pulled her in front of me.


The sister’s fate is not a pretty one.

As the bullets began to fly
The blood sprayed from between her eyes
And then I laughed maniacally
Then I hid behind the TV

And I locked and loaded my M-16
And I blew those little f***ers to eternity.
And I said
Durka Durka Mohammed Jihad Sherpa Sherpa Bak Allah

They should have known they were f***ing with a Marine


Okay, it’s not very funny when you read it. But neither is “America, fuck yeah, coming again to save the motherfuckin’ day.” In both cases you have to listen to the actual song to appreciate the fact that it’s hilarious.

Today the Marines announced that he won’t face a court-martial. Good. But he shouldn’t have even faced facing a court-martial. Besides, he’s not out of the woods yet. As the article says:

Commanders of Cpl. Joshua Belile, 23, will handle the matter administratively, which can include informal counseling about his actions, military officials said.

With any luck, his commanding officers are all gruff, no-bullshit Marines of the old school who also happened to be English majors back in the day, so their informal counseling is: “You need to tighten the lyrics so that they flow a little smoother. Get working on it, Marine.”

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it beats "Generals gathered in their masses, just like witches at black masses."

Rhyming "masses" with "masses."
Fucking brilliant.

4:21 AM  
Blogger The NE Curmudgeon said...

I admit that your blog is the first I have heard of this stupidity.

It is just another sign of how our culture deals in the inane and superficial and avoids substance and reality: this guy catches hell for a song, while Haditha is hushed up for months and ignored.

Boy, being an American is something special indeed.

5:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robert, the story hit the news soon after the Haditha massacre came out. And yeah, I think it's insane for the Marines to care more about a song than about war crimes. In the first post I did about Belile, I made a point of syaing that I was always against the Iraq War so I could establish my non-bloodthirsty bona fides before saying that this guy should never, ever have faced trouble over his song.

I hope he becomes the next Trey Parker.

(This is Jennifer, by the way, but for some odd reason this isn't letting me comment under my real name.)

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com