Thursday, October 25, 2007

Dichotomy Exposed

The words "liberal" and "conservative" have been so degraded by modern political discourse that it's damned difficult to figure out what they actually stand for these days. But, behold! A moment of insight that should settle the question once and for all.

It's quite simple: the difference between liberals and conservatives boils down to what excuses they use to take your freedom away. If your rights are stepped on in the name of Saving The Earth, Protecting Your Health, or For The Children (post-birth) it's a liberal doing the stepping; if freedom is eroded in the name of Making America Strong, Protecting American Morality or For The Children (pre-birth) it's a conservative chipping it away.

Easy.

7 Comments:

Blogger ENOOOLONG said...

So what about folks who just want to take our freedoms for the hell of it? Because that seems to be the majority party these days.

3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What brought this revelation on, if I might ask?

4:51 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Abel said...

They'll take away our freedom just for the hell of it, Grant, but they'll always have some excuse: For Your Own Good, por la patria, think of the children, something.

Moose, sometimes I'm just overwhelmed by the pointlessness of it all. I'm not going to give up the fight, but I sometimes wonder why I even bother.

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

but I sometimes wonder why I even bother.

As Paul Newman said in the movie, Cool Hand Luke, "aw well, at least it's something to do." :-)

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moose, sometimes I'm just overwhelmed by the pointlessness of it all. I'm not going to give up the fight, but I sometimes wonder why I even bother.

Ok, that's cool. I couldn't believe that you just figured that out.

10:55 AM  
Blogger rhhardin said...

You could look at women's suffrage for a cause.

And the made-for-news TV audience the offer.

2:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, why so down, Little Bear?

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com