Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Flagrant Name-Dropping

Last Friday, New York Times columnist Gail Collins gave a speech at a local university; I attended the speech and dashed out the second it was done so I could write about it for the newspaper and get it in before deadline. As usual, space constraints forced me to leave out many interesting details, but I wrote the best story I could in the time and space allotted, filed it and largely forgot about it.

Five minutes ago, Ms. Collins called me at work to say she's given that speech hundreds of times, and my write-up of it was the best one she'd ever read.

Ahem. I need to figure out how to work that into my resume.

6 Comments:

Blogger Alicia said...

Huzzah for finally leaving that job I mistakenly got you. Who knew? Who knew.

We should get together again. My term has just finished, and I'm about to start working longer, but there's got to be some time in there. Are you guys heading out of state with the free-from-job status?

4:13 PM  
Blogger Scotticus said...

Well done! As far as the resume, just add her as a professional reference. I'm guessing most of the places you're applying to won't actually try to call Gail Collins to ask her opinion of the Feral Genius's work ethic and punctuality.

6:11 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Abel said...

Egads, Scotticus, I'd never presume to list her as a reference without her express permission. I should've asked when she called, but I was caught so utterly off-base.

But perhaps if a potential employer Googles me, he'll find this blog post and it will hopefully offset all the 9/11 Truther blogs where I am erroneously listed as one of their staunch supporters.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Scotticus said...

My "mostly-joking" font was mistranslated along the Intertubes somewhere; I agree that would be bad juju. :)

(And now this thread alone contains the goods for a Google search of "Jennifer" "9/11 Truther" "staunch supporter". Egads indeed!)

7:38 AM  
Blogger Caveman Lawyer said...

Is there a method of name dropping that isn't flagrant?

7:02 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Abel said...

Probably, Caveman. I just haven't figured it out yet.

Alicia, we definitely have to get together if you're in town. And I'm still very grateful that I did get the job, even if it didn't turn out as I'd hoped. We won't be leaving the state anytime soon unless he gets a job offer somewhere else.

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com