Saturday, September 07, 2013

Check Your Privilege

Today's mail brought the unwelcome news that I've been added to the Loudoun County juror pool. I'd be 95 percent less annoyed had they not insulted my intelligence by saying that jury duty is a "privilege." Like hell it is; you don't threaten people with legal sanctions for turning down a "privilege."

On the other hand, if they actually call me in for an interview, I'm certain they'll revoke this "privilege" and boot me out of the pool once they discover I'm familiar with the concept of jury nullification.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Carson said...

Definitely. I got thrown out for that within the first hour of voir dire.

9:01 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Abel said...

I'm also curious regarding exactly what law makes courtrooms exempt from minimum-wage requirements. Apparently, if they force me to enjoy the "privilege" of serving jury duty, I'll be paid a whopping $40 per day, which is much less than the federal minimum wage.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Kevin Carson said...

I wonder if that would fit the technical definition of involuntary servitude, not in punishment for a crime.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Abel said...

If I had the time and money for such things, I'd gladly bring a case to court on those grounds.

9:52 AM  
Blogger G.S. McGillycuddy said...

Re the minimum wage,I believe the prevailing wage is whatever they say it is. Oh and Oceania has always been at war with East Asia.

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Nullifier said...

I haven't received a jury summons in over a decade. The last time they tried I threw it away. In quick succession there arrived a veritable plethora of additional summonses which were likewise thrown away. At some point they gave up.

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Artor said...

Don't forget to inform the rest of the jury pool about the concept of nullification too. Print up some flyers and hand them out before they can haul you away. Leave a few around the jury lobby too, tucked into magazines or somewhere they won't be immediately found & destroyed.

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com