Saturday, October 06, 2007

Road Tripping

Greetings from the thriving metropolis of New Castle, Delaware, where I'm more-or-less comfortably ensconced in a Super 8 with wireless Internet. I've taken a week off to recharge my batteries, and my goal for the next few days is to either avoid news sites altogether or, if I simply must check the news, try to ignore political stuff in lieu of giving a shit about Britney Spears.

Tomorrow I'm going back to the white-trash touristy part of Virginia where I grew up. (Just curious to see how it's changed.) Oh, and if anybody reading this happens to work for the New York State Department of Transportation, specifically the guy in charge of the Tappan Zee Bridge north of Manhattan: those signs you have posted on the bridge saying "Life Is Worth Living" might be more effective at dissuading potential suicides if they weren't posted over a mile before the free Suicide Hotline Phone you have for them to call. Set up an extra couple of phones next to the signs, why don't you?

But, giving credit where credit is due: that sign on the Interstate saying "Last Exit In New York" is far more polite than saying "Last Chance To Avoid Entering New Fucking Jersey." Kudos to you! And to think they say Noo Yawkuhs have no class.

6 Comments:

Blogger ENOOOLONG said...

An assertion that "Life is worth living" would also be more convincing if it were somewhere other than the Tappan Zee, which when traffic backs up might easily be Exhibit #1 for the contrary position.

3:49 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Hey, if you're passing through DC, give me a holler. Alex is no longer here, but we could have the Smallest UOCon ever!

6:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...the white-trash touristy part of Virginia...

Wouldn't that be West Virginia? I always heard Virginia was sort of an expensive place to live where only the rich and the upper middle class could afford to exist.

I've just returned from two and a half days of trudging through several miles of antique festival, looking at people's old junk and castoffs. But it was enjoyable - nice to get away from things for awhile. I even found a few treasures (relatively-speaking.)

So, anyway, I can identify with your desire for even a brief vacation. Hope you have a good time.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Abel said...

We didn't go near DC, Jim, but took the Delmarva peninsula down instead.

Smartass, you're thinking of Northern Virginia, where taxpayer dollars pump up the economy and make people rich. I grew up down by North Carolina.

However, judging from some of the new upscale stores I see, I'd guess the local median income's gone up a bit. I have no idea where this money is coming from, though.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

The Department of Defense?

5:24 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Abel said...

Well, the DoD's always been the main income source for this region, but unless military salaries have quintupled in real dollars I honestly don't see how the region can support all these upscale stores and home prices. Living here now is actually MORE expensive than living in Connecticut.

5:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com