Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Game Over

My fellow Americans, we're screwed. The National Defense Authorization Act allowing the military to detain American citizens captured on American soil indefinitely, sans trial, sans lawyer, sans evidence, sans anything, has passed the House. And Obama has backed away from his threat of a veto; looks like he'll sign it into law. So much for the oath to defend the constitution of the United States. So much for the "land of the free."

Every good thing I once believed about my country is dead. We invade other countries on false pretenses. We torture people. We molest innocent citizens whose only "crime" is wishing to travel within the borders of their own country. And soon we'll start disappearing our own people, on the word of an anonymous tipster with a grudge.

I should've listened to the guidance counselor who urged me to become a doctor. Not that I have any interest in medicine, but if I were a physician, I could emigrate the fuck out of here. Instead, I'm trapped in a country where anyone suspected of terrorism can be made to disappear, and where anyone who protests in considered to engage in "low-level terrorism."

I don't enjoy contemplating my own mortality, but I always figured I'd either die of natural causes or (if unlucky) in an accident. Now it looks like I might very well die in some filthy secret military prison, after a bureaucrat decides some op-ed I wrote for the Guardian or what have you qualifies me as a threat to the commonweal.

3 Comments:

Blogger David said...

My parents told me back in the 60's that this would happen some day and I thought they were a little paranoid. Eventually I realized they were right but couldn't figure out a way to move overseas and now it's too late -and here we are - the economic collapse of the developed world is looming and with it full bore fascism everywhere. The sad thing is most of the sheep will approve of this law - until it is too late.

6:53 AM  
Anonymous Artor said...

Unfortunately, even moving to another country is no good. The new bill considers the entire world to be a "battlefield" and the President can order anyone, anywhere, to be picked up as a "person of interest."
Welcome to the Evil Empire!

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm an atheist and I am vocal online as to why I won't fly. At least they don't have my DNA or my fingerprints yet. Maybe I can stay underground until this blows over in a few years?

I'm not going to post anything online controversial anymore. I'm sure it's too late but hope is hard to kill.

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com