Thursday, February 09, 2017

Trumpism Is A Cult, Not A Political Movement

There's far too many lies spewing out of the Trump administration for a single part-time blogger to keep up with them all, but one particularly facepalm-worthy event from yesterday is when Sean Spicer made repeated references to non-existent “Islamic terrorism” here in my new hometown of Atlanta. (Fact check: Atlanta did suffer from terrorist attacks in the 1990s, most infamously the 1996 Olympic bombing – but the terrorist in question was no Islamic import but Eric Rudolph, a home-grown right-wing American Christian white guy.)

How many Trump fans called Spicer out on this? Not a single damned one that I saw. Of course, they were eager to commend Spicer for his honesty the next day, when he stated that he merely “misspoke” (he'd meant to say “Orlando,” not “Atlanta”),  yet they even managed to give that a dishonestly partisan spin – the people who readily forgave Spicer's multiple Atlanta-related slips of the tongue and Kellyanne Conway's “accidental” repeated mentions of the non-existent Bowling Green Massacre were the same ones who, back in the day, insisted that Barack Obama was a clueless stupidhead who genuinely believed there are 57 states in the U.S. Thus, Obama's one-time slip of the tongue becomes a deliberate lie (or admission of ignorance), whereas the oft-repeated lies of the Trumpsters were all mere slips of the tongue.

Trump supporters act more like a cult than members of a political party. Of course American politics has always had its share of unprincipled hyper-partisan hacks – we've all known our share of Democrats who outright refused to see or admit to any flaws in Obama or Clinton, and Republicans who took the same view toward Romney or Bush (I remember one man back in the day, swear to Zod, who insisted that only a hardcore Democratic shill could possibly doubt the intelligence and qualifications of then-vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin) – but the majority of people on both sides of the political aisle took a more moderate approach: “I voted for [Obama or Bush] because I thought he was better than his opponent, but I still don't like the time he said this, his policy in support of that, or his appointment of what's-his-face to whatever cabinet position.”

But I have yet to meet a single Trumpster who has admitted to any flaws in the man or his mouthpieces. At this point, you'd have better luck trying to find a Sea Org Scientologist who's willing to admit that L. Ron Hubbard had some kooky ideas about human psychology.

1 Comments:

Blogger FL said...

YOu might expand your circle of acquaintances. If you remember MANY people saw the election as a choice between the lesser of 2 evils and chose Trump over Clinton. I would venture to say 80% of the people I know my self included do NOT agree with every thing Trump is doing or plans to do. I voted to get rid of the norm and I got exactly what I voted for I voted because I am sick of people from foreign lands taking jobs and resources with out waiting in line I wanted them deported I got what I voted for. I wanted some one to quit giving so much of my money to greedy corporations with out any accounting and get good deals for the money spent I got what I voted for. I wanted corporations that leave the country and import products to pay a price or stay here and make jobs. I got what I voted for. I wanted people in government not to be allowed to be paid lobbyist I got what I voted for.

What he is doing to the EPA I do not agree with, Public schools I do not agree with. Putting an AIG banker in a place of authority I do not agree with. For me the man has already kept so may promises he can do no wrong in my eyes compared to the lies I voted for with Obama.

I for one will never vote democrat again you would have to be blind not to see the corruption I am so glad the Russians hack John Podesta and let every one see the truth.

2:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com