Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Wait For The Movie Version

EDIT: Do not click on the enclosed link unless your computer has a butt-kickingly impressive anti-virus program. Commenter R. Hardin reports that A-jad's site may be infected by a virus, and I am now thinking there's a connection between my visiting his blog last night, and my later inability to make a post here on my own. And I've had some other computer issues since then, too. I'm going to have my IT guy run a full scan on my home computer tonight; if I do not post this evening it's because I'm too busy disinfecting my computer.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad (whom you may recognize as the president of Iran) has posted his autobiography on his brand-new blog. The page comes up in Arabic (or perhaps Farsi), but on the upper right you’ll see four small flag icons. If you click on the one that looks like a semi-cross between Old Glory and the Union Jack, an English translation will load. Or maybe not — the first time I tried it, I got a “please wait” sign and then a note that the server was busy. But I made it through on my second try and was rewarded (after another wait) with a piece that started off interestingly enough, but went downhill after the first three or four words:

During the era that nobility was a prestige and living in a city was perfection, I was born in a poor family in a remote village of Garmsar-approximately 90 kilometer east of Tehran. I was born fifteen years after Iran was invaded by foreign forces- in August of 1940- and the time that another puppet, named mohammad Reza – the son of Reza Mirpange- was set as a monarch in Iran. Since the extinct shah -Mohammad Reza- was supposed to take and enter Iran into western civilization slavishly, so many schemes were implemented that Iran becomes another market for the western ceremonial goods without any progress in the scientific field. Our Islamic culture would not allow such an infestation, and this was an impediment in front of shah and his foreign masters’ way.

That’s about half of the first paragraph, which is all this page showed. But I clicked the “continue” icon and waited for the thing to download, and eventually got the entire first installment of his life story, including fond memories of Ayatollah Khomeini:

Imam Khomeini was released from prison. I never forget Imam Khomeini’s speeches during those years which was very persuasive and appealing. You would hear the strong faith to Almighty God in his orations. He invited the people to pure Islam. His message was invitation to the belief of monotheism- Unity and Oneness of God- and also justice, elimination of oppression, injustice and sedition in the world. He was courageous and had a valiant heart. He spoke firmly and securely. His orations were simple and honest. The people accepted his guidance sincerely. Due to these characteristics, he was a beloved leader for every individuals-young or elderly. Of course he was a disgrace for shah’s regime and his Americans masters. Notably, even among his enemies, he was respected with a special honor.
This isn’t a very polished translation, so I’m not certain if A-jad actually means to say what he says about how Khomeini took power:

the type of Government Imam was seeking to establish was known to everybody, however, Imam repeatedly laid great emphasis that everyone’s opinion should be taken into consideration (by holding a referendum) for the establishment of the type of new government in Iran. This he did so as to show right at the outset that it is with the wishes of the nation as well as in accordance with the principles of Islam, that an Islamic Government is established. Although, there was absolutely no need of a referendum, but Imam with his wise foresight, proved his point of view to everyone and left no place for those who wished to seek alternatives. This action of Imam and vehement participation and positive reply to the establishment of Islamic Republic by the Iranian nation, caused disappointment of some of the political groups that were affiliated to great world powers.

So Khomeini held a referendum to prove everybody wanted him, but didn’t hold the referendum because everybody wanted him so he saw no need to provide alternatives?

He goes on to describe the Iran-Iraq war, a terrible period during which Saddam (with help from the Great Satan) inflicted much suffering on Iran. However, after many paragraphs describing the suffering the Iranians experienced (and yes, Iran’s got a legitimate complaint against Saddam for that one), he explains why, thanks to the Islamic Republic, life at the time was wonderful:

The sacred defense in the universities was related to teaching human values. Side by side, the experience of life and death during war made this life like a heaven on earth and hereafter, such that what was said and heard about it and carried out at that time, was truly godly.
By the way, his blog doesn’t allow comments but you can e-mail him questions if you wish. And maybe the next installment of his story won’t be so bad. Here’s how he ends this piece:

I will continue this topic later on as it took long in the beginning. From now onwards, I will try to make it shorter and simpler. With hope in God, I intend to wholeheartedly complete my talk in future with allotted fifteen minutes.

2 Comments:

Blogger rhhardin said...

If it's the site I think it is, it contains a virus. http://timblair.net/ee/index.php/weblog/cant_wait_for_his_first_hat_tip/

8:59 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Abel said...

In all seriousness, Ron, I'm actually wondering if there's any connection between my visiting that site, and the fact that I couldn't post here last night. I had some SERIOUS problems on A-jad's blog--at one point, when I highlighted some text to paste it into Word (and thence to the blog), my computer damn near froze up.

Luckily my SO handles computer issues, and I've got some serious anti-virus protection that is updated regularly. But still, I'm not going back there again.

I'm about to edit this post with a note telling people not to click on the link.

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com