Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Navel Gazing

Either I’m losing my mind or this website is losing its archives. Please help me figure out which one.

A few months ago I did a post about a young girl whose parents subjected her to a series of hormone treatments designed to stunt her growth and keep her pre-pubescent forever. Which sounds horrifying, until you realize that the poor child had a stunted brain, and a mental capacity that would remain stuck in infancy forever.

She’ll never be able to take care of herself. She can’t even sit up. Her parents wanted to keep her small so that they could take care of her, rather than hand her over to an institution when her body grew too big for them to handle. Sounds like a sensible decision to me, but so many people have criticized them for it that the parents have started a blog explaining their side of the story.

My original plan for this post you’re reading was to link to the parents’ blog (which I’ve done), link to my original post on the matter, and then start a discussion about the various moral and ethical implications of such treatments.

Except I can’t find my original post. I went through my archives. I did multiple site searches on Google. I even checked other blogs for which I’ve written guest posts, in case I got them mixed up with my own.

Nothing. Nada. Zip. But I know I made that post, dammit! I even remember some of the comments people went on to make about it. And my significant other remembers it as well — hell, he’s the one who brought the parents’ new blog to my attention.

So here’s a question to this site’s regular readers: do y’all remember reading or commenting here, for a post about parents giving their daughter hormone treatments to stunt her growth? I hope so, because the only thing worse than the thought of me hallucinating my own Internet postings is the thought that my significant other and I are hallucinating in tandem.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For whatever it's worth -- I don't recall reading a post on that subject here.

However -- I am proud to say that there are a great many people I like personally who have their own blog gigs now, and I do try to check in on them now and then, but I can't possibly keep up with them all. So I may have missed it. But even though I don't make a comment on every post, or even read every post in detail, I pretty much try to be aware when a new topic is posted here. If I'd seen it here, most likely it would at least sound familiar.

My best guess is that you posted it somewhere else.

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found a post on that subject at Inactivist. Inactivist's server seems to be down at the moment, but here's the Google cache

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, Abidemi is right -- I also suspected it might be at Inactivist, and you would've been unable to search that site effectively because it has been down all day.

When it comes back up, you can find a link to the article starting from HERE.

(Or just use the Google cache that Abidemi found.)

11:17 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Abel said...

Ah, yes. Thanks, guys. I'd actually wondered about Inactivist, but this didn't strike me as the sort of thing I'd blog over there.

I was clearly mistaken. But at least I know my archives are intact, and I'm no crazier than I was before.

6:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad that was cleared up, cuz I didn't remember it and I was afraid I'd found another instance of Old-Timers disease stealing my brain.

10:11 AM  
Blogger rhhardin said...

Check the wayback machine http://www.archive.org/web/web.php incidentally, a handy source for old stuff, if they happen to have archived it. Really old stuff, too.

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So is Inactivist totally kerblooey, or what?

7:30 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Abel said...

They're supposed to be looking for a new host, Diakron.

6:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was clearly mistaken. But at least I know my archives are intact, and I'm no crazier than I was before.

That's ok, you had me going wondering if I were the one that was nuts..."I can't remember that, she said she posted it, I thought I'd read every post at some time...what the hell?" Combine this with knowing nothing of the case itself, and I was going a bit off the bonkers.

4:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com