Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Mad Props To The U.S. Postal Service Part Two: Lost Passport Edition

I mentioned two weeks ago that the post office has been putting people's mail in the wrong boxes at my apartment building. I also mentioned waiting for my U.S. passport to arrive, so I can return home after a trip to Canada next month.

Today I checked the state department's tracking page, and learned the passport was mailed almost two weeks ago. Then I checked the Priority Mail tracking number and learned the passport had been marked "delivered" on June 29. So I will have to report it as stolen, in which case it will no longer be valid, and I have to apply for a new one, which probably won't arrive in time for my vacation.

Thank you, United States Postal Service, for your outstanding commitment to customer service and national security. I guess you lost my birth certificate and the package I ordered on eBay, too.

5 Comments:

Anonymous smartass sob said...

Today I checked the state department's tracking page, and learned the passport was mailed almost two weeks ago. Then I checked the Priority Mail tracking number and learned the passport had been marked "delivered" on June 29. So I will have to report it as stolen, in which case it will no longer be valid, and I have to apply for a new one, which probably won't arrive in time for my vacation.

Of course, you know that about the time you report it stolen and have applied for a new passport the previous one will miraculouly show up in your mailbox....because it was delivered to the wrong party and that party returned it and it was mailed out again...or some such. On the other hand, if you don't report it stolen and apply for a new one, you will never see the first one. It is the way these things work.

Anyway, I'm sorry about your difficulties. I would think you can get your eBay purchase reimbursed, at least.

5:00 AM  
Anonymous smartass sob said...

Hey, how come hardly anyone comments here these days?

5:01 AM  
Blogger J sub D said...

I dunno.

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Stevo Darkly said...

It feels like I haven't commented here in ages.

4:50 PM  
Anonymous thoreau said...

smartass sob is right. That said, you should absolutely report it stolen because if you don't then:

1) It will never be found.
2) Somebody will be out there using your passport as fake ID, causing you god only knows what sort of identity theft issues down the line.

9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com