Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Voting For Failure

I voted for the idea of Obama last November, but unfortunately that idea never took office. This continues my long trend of voting for losing presidential candidates:

Early 2008: Spent almost six horrifying days as a registered Republican so I could vote for Ron Paul in the GOP primary. He lost.

2004: Voted for what's-his-name, the guy who looks like an anthropomorphic oak tree. The two-party candidate whose main qualification was that he wasn't George W. Bush, remember? The rich guy married to the ketchup lady? He lost, too.

2000: Didn't bother because I knew Al Gore would take my state of Connecticut whether I voted or not. He did win Connecticut, and maybe Florida too, but the Supreme Court said it didn't matter so he lost, Bush became president and the whole country lost.

But at least Gore eventually won a Nobel prize, as did the idea of Obama, and such declining Nobel standards make me happy because misery loves company, so I take grim comfort in knowing at least America doesn't have to decline alone.

6 Comments:

Anonymous smartass sob said...

After many years of voting and noting that things never seem to improve regardless of who is elected - I have reluctantly reached the conclusion that if it really mattered for whom one votes, we would never have been given the franchise. Believe me - I know how cynical that sounds.

6:27 AM  
Blogger Wife Beater said...

Being cynical is the only sane reaction to these odd days we find ourselves in...

7:24 PM  
Blogger The Captain said...

There is only one thing to do with the idea of Obama: You have to wash that man right out of your hair.

Oh, I forgot. You no longer shampoo.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Abel said...

I'll condition him out of my hair instead,then, Cap'n.

And if we don't exchange words before this Saturday: congratulations on your upcoming wedding! I hope you and your soon-to-be-wife have a fabulous honeymoon.

9:21 AM  
Blogger The Captain said...

We can't afford a real honeymoon, but we will have a party for close friends following the reception at a nice hotel over looking the river.

It should be a blast. TWC will be there.

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Joe said...

Last year I voted for Nader, three libertarians for state offices (yes, they all lost), and one Republican--only because she was the only alternative to the incumbent Democrat congress-criminal--who also lost. And, to top it all off, I was even on the losing side of a referendum on whether it would be okay for PA to borrow money for infrastructure repairs. A perfect 0 for 6. I have to say, I took a kind of perverse pride in this record, although I think next time I'll just save myself the trouble and stay home.

(BTW, I also voted for the "anthropomorphic oak tree" in '04--without a doubt one of the most unsatisfying things I've ever done in my life.)

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com