Friday, January 20, 2012

Fiddling While Rome Burns

I could say my lack of recent posts was because of me showing principled support for the anti-SOPA protest blackout, but that would be a pious lie. For all that I loathe SOPA and cheered the blackout, the truth is I've been busy researching and writing about science-fiction-themed brothels, Arab-Israeli hacker wars, Japanese legends of Moses and similar matters for the Daily Dot.

But I haven't abandoned my fear or my fury over what's been happening in the US of late: TSA, NDAA, "the president of the US can kill anybody anywhere in the world, without a trial or declaration of war, so long as he's first willing to say 'dude's a terrorist'" ... reading the news these days feels like watching a documentary on a World War Two cable channel, a documentary about how things went dreadfully wrong in a certain country I dare not mention because anytime anybody makes the slightest comparison between anything here now and anything there then, somebody will scream Godwin! and at that point the conversation is over. So forget I even mentioned it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous smartass sob said...

Ah! You're still with us. I had almost begun to wonder whether you might have been, shall I say, detained? Instead I see that you've merely been out blogging around again. ;-)

3:36 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Abel said...

Nothing so glamorous as that, Smartass. I'm just running out of things to say about the latest TSA outrage that I haven't already said about the hundred previous identical outrages. Molesting little kids? Already posted about that. Molesting little old ladies and then lying about it? Ditto. Confiscating passenger property to sell for a profit? Ditto.

11:17 AM  
Anonymous smartass sob said...

the latest TSA outrage

Now they're even picking on United States Senators

9:39 AM  
Anonymous NoStar said...

How long before Rand (or Ron) Paul is declared to be a terrorist and is secreted off to Gitmo to be indefinitely detained?

Shall we start a pool?

Put me down for $5 and I'll say before the elections in November.

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com