Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Continuing Suckitude of Moving

I'm still in the process of packing to move, and I've reached the point where whenever my eye falls upon a can of aerosol hairspray -- a not-infrequent occurrence here in Casa Jennifer -- I think "One lighted match is all I need to make you a flamethrower." Torching the remainder of my worldly possessions would be easier than moving them, only I'm afraid it would annoy my neighbors.

The main problem is that we're moving from an apartment with a huge basement storage facility to an apartment with basically no storage at all, and since we don't want to rent a storage shed or live like the people on "Hoarders," disposing of roughly 60 percent of our possessions (by weight or volume) is our only choice.

We've also decided that, since my partner will be needed a new car pretty soon anyway, he'll maybe get a pickup truck instead. My secret insidious plan to turn my partner, a lifelong New Englander, into a Virginian like me proccedeth apace. Bwa ha ha!

Now back to work.

4 Comments:

Anonymous smartass sob said...

he'll maybe get a pickup truck instead.

How does anyone get along these days without one? Or at least something to haul stuff in?

2:42 AM  
Anonymous Wayne said...

Best darn thing I ever got was a pickup!

Please prove I'm not a robot?!

6:47 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Abel said...

Well, Smartass, without a pickup, you get by via making looooooots of trips. I've been averaging at least two thrift-store trips per day, each time with my car crammed full of donatables, and Jeff has been making himself similarly well-known at the city dump.

We've been unloading some of our stuff for free on Craigslist -- a bedframe, old collections of comics and magazines -- everything except a boxful of old National Geographics. NOBODY wants those. Thrift stores won't accept them, and nobody has called about my "Free stuff" ad either. Too bad school's out for the summer; had I posted the ad a couple weeks ago, I bet some art or elementary teacher would have taken the Nat Geos, at least to cut up for scrapbooks or collages or something.

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Robert Hewes said...

Jennifer, have you tried "Freecycle"? When we were moving out of Bristol we could get rid of just about anything within a few hours using that list. I've seen people offering (and others taking!) coupons and such.

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com