Monday, June 25, 2012

At Least They're Honest About It

I just got back from the DMV, transferring my license, registration and car title from Connecticut to Virginia. I thought that going during weekday business hours would result in a short wait, but I thought wrong: after I filled out my paperwork and got my numbered ticket, it was more than an hour before my number actually came up. This gave me plenty of time to read the posters displayed throughout the DMV office, including one that read "RENEW IN PERSON: PAY $5." Apparently, when it's time to renew your license in Virginia, it's free if you do it online or via the mail, but actually doing it at the DMV will cost you.

Wow. I know that government bureaucracies are fueled primarily by contempt for the public they presumably serve, but -- with the notable exception of the DHS/TSA -- they're rarely so explicit about it: "We hate you so much we can't even stand to look at you, and if you make us do it anyway it'll damned well cost you."

2 Comments:

Blogger Steamboat Lion said...

I will have to disagree with this one much as it pains me to be defending the DMV. There are plenty of private organizations who don't even make it possible to interact with them face to face, or even over the phone, or if they do charge extra...I'd be more interested to know how well there online renewal process works. Most of the government online processes I've used are awful.

4:09 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Abel said...

There are plenty of private organizations who don't even make it possible to interact with them face to face, or even over the phone

None of those private organizations have a monopoly on anything as fundamentally important as, say, the right to drive. If I don't like a particular private company, I can take my business to another one. But if I don't like the DMV ....

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com